This classic recipe for Vanilla Bean Pastry Cream can be used in so many desserts!
Vanilla Bean Pastry Cream
1 vanilla bean
2 cups 35% cream
½ cup sugar
6 egg yolks
1 pinch of salt
¼ cup cornstarch
1. Place cream and half the sugar into a pot.
2. Cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise.
3. Scrape out the centre filling
4. Place bean and filling in the pot.
5. Heat it slowly until it boils.
6. Meanwhile, place egg yolk and the rest of the sugar into a bowl.
7. Whisk to combine.
8. Add cornstarch and whisk again.
9. Pour in some of the hot cream and whisk together.
10. Pour the egg mixture into the pot with the hot cream.
11. Stir with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes until thickened.
12. Place in bowl and let cool.
13. If not using immediately, place cling wrap on top and refrigerate.