Guinness Chocolate Buttermilk Cake
This recipe for Guinness Chocolate Buttermilk Cake is courtesy of the chef who enjoys Guinness the most– Irish Chef Michael. In this cake Guinness merges with the flavour of chocolate and the creamy acidity of buttermilk for a new flavour all its own. Bake it once and we are sure it will become part of your recipe collection.
Recipe for Guinness Chocolate Buttermilk Cake
Makes 1- 9 inch round cake
1 ½ cups Guinness
¾ cup butter
1 ¾ cups sugar
¼ cup cocoa
1 cup buttermilk
3 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
Icing sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare a 9 inch round cake pan.
- Combine Guinness and butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Allow butter to melt and then beat in sugar and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and buttermilk together.
- Add the egg mixture to the cooled Guinness mixture.
- Sift flour with baking soda. Mix in.
- Pour into cake pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Place cake on wire rack and allow to cool, before unmolding the cake.
- Sprinkle with sifted icing sugar.
Check out our upcoming cooking classes.